Wednesday, June 07, 2006

37 weeks PLUS 1 day

I have gone 7 more weeks with this bubba than with the girls. So now this baby would be classed "full term". I am just so excited about that, sooo, sooo excited. Basically if the baby were to be born now, everything would be fine. By that I mean, I would be able to hold the baby straight away & the baby should be able to be with ME in my room etc. There would be no special care or tube feeding. I've spoken to a few people that had babies at 37 weeks & MOST were fine & home within a few days. By now the baby should be able to suck & do all the things a baby can do at 39 weeks. So very different to having a baby at 30 weeks.

I saw the midwife yesterday. On Monday I felt as though the baby had "dropped" but thought I was imagining it. Then Monday night I had extreme period type of pain through the night. It was fairly painful. It stopped though. Yesterday at clinic the midwife confirmed that the baby is now engaged. I haven't had any more pains. I had a few small one's last night, but nothing like the night before.

I was also told that I must be at the hospital for my whole labour & that I will have a drip put in. Because I am attempting a VBAC I have to be closely monitored. So as soon as I know I am in labour we will go to the hospital.

I have my bag all ready & I think I'm ready. Feeling a little "scared" as I know what I have to do LOL. I know I'll be fine, but it's a pretty daunting thing pushing something the size a rock melon out a hole the size of a banana.

Ash & I have gone over a few things & I had to clear up a few MAJOR misconceptions he had!! He THOUGHT that when I went into labour he was supposed to ring 000!! I guess maybe he thought that, because last time I went to the hospital in an ambo. I told him no he's to drive me there in OUR CAR! Next thing, he thought that I had to be LAYING on the BACKSEAT of the car. I laughed so hard at that idea. I asked WHY he thought that & he said, "Well in every movie I have watched, the woman always lays on the backseat". He also thought that when the baby is to be born, that I had to have a pillow under my bottom to make my pelvis get into the "right" position. I have NO IDEA how he thought this, but I said "I'll be doing whatever is comfortable for me." We did antenatal classes when I was PG with the girls, but I think his memory has faded. So now I have gone over the things I might try & what I want him to do. I basically said "Look I have no idea what position I will be in, but that doesn't matter". I just want him to LISTEN to me & SUPPORT & ENCOURAGE me. So if I say, "rub my back" you DO IT LOL. I'm sure when the time comes he will be fine.

This birth should be very different to the girl’s birth. Last time I was strapped to a bed, it was VERY fast & I basically had no control over anything. I was taken to theatre & had a c-section with about 10 medical people in the room. So this time should be a more "normal" experience, a GOOD experience.

The girls are so excited about the baby. I think they are sick of WAITING. They understand that I will go to the hospital. They have said that they want to stay at the hospital with me. I told them that they only have beds for Mummy's & babies, so they can't stay with me.

Yesterday I wrapped up a little gift each for the girls & have hidden them in the car. They will be for the girls FROM the baby. I want them to feel special about becoming big sisters. They are both getting 2 pairs of dress up shoes, some stickers, a little make up set & an outfit for their doll.


Today should be a FUN morning. I'm taking the girls to see "Dorothy's Birthday Party". The Wiggles will be here. None of the guys will be there, but all the characters will be. I haven't told the girls yet, but I think it should be lots of fun. We have never done anything like that before. Will take the camera & hopefully get some photos of the fun.

No comments: