Friday, February 15, 2008

BIG school Girls

I’m trying hard to catch up with what’s been happening in our part of the world. The day after we got home from Melbourne, Kateleigh & Danika started Prep. It was a big day for them. Prep is basically school. It’s 5 days a week & school hours.

Kateleigh


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Danika


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Both Girls

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

At the end of last year I made the decision to have them in different classes. This decision was one I agonized over. I read lots of info, spoke to twins themselves & talked to their daycarers. With all that info & knowing them best I decided to separate them. They are both very independent at home & often try to dominate each other. I want them to be independent at school & have their own friends etc. I don’t want them to be reliant on each other. It seems that everyone has an opinion when it comes to this, but as their mum, this is the decision I have made. I did not make this decision will nilly, but I’ve had a few people tell me what they think (that they should be together) & make me feel like I have done something bad.

The first few days were really hard on Danika. Kateleigh had a couple of friends from childcare in her class. Danika knew one little girl, but wasn’t really “friends” with her. Starting prep is big for any child, but I think even bigger for my 2 girls. They were in a totally knew environment & also on their own. They do see each other at lunch times though.

One of the hard things for them to understand is doing different things. They no longer do the SAME activities etc. Each class does different things, Kateleigh’s class is concentrating on insects, and Danika’s is me, my family & community. On the very first day Kateleigh got a stamp on her hand. Danika was upset b/c she wanted to get one too. There have been a few times when one gets upset over something they feel they have missed out on, but they are getting there with that too.

Danika seemed to really turn the corner the 2nd week. She looks so much happier when I drop her off & pick her up. She talks about heaps of friends! Kateleigh on the other hand doesn’t really mention other kids except the best friend from childcare. So it looks like Danika is coping better than Kateleigh! I am so proud of both of them.

I have started helping in their classroom on a Tuesday morning. I start in Kateleigh’s room and then go to Danika’s. They both LOVE having me help in their room & it’s nice to see some of what they do there.

I must admit that I have found this a big adjustment for ME. It’s been hard letting them go! Going to school is such a big thing. You drop them off with people you don’t know, & you don’t really know what they get up to during the day. From when they were born I knew where they were & what they were doing & now I have to let go of some of that.

On the 1st week I asked Kateleigh what her favourite part of the day was, she said, “Seeing Danika at lunchtime”. Often when I collect them in the afternoon, they hold hands on the way out & I can tell they are happy to see each other again.

Everyone said once they went to school I would have so much time. Well that’s a JOKE! I am busier than ever now. I do love being home on Monday’s & Fridays with Solomon. It’s lovely having some one on one time with my boy. I think Solomon is missing the girls too, as he follows me everywhere when the girls are at school. He’s also started saying their names :)

2 comments:

Mother Duck said...

Dont' they look so CUTE in their uniforms!! And I can totally relate to the time factor. I'm seriously lacking in time now!

Anonymous said...

How lovely do they look in their uniforms.

As you know, we've split the boys up for day care this year, mainly because next year when they go to Transition (Prep) which is only three days a week for us (if they are accepted, that is! lol! They might not want the non-colour-getting ferals!) then we have no choice but to keep them in the same class (there is a three day program and a two day program, but only one class of each)... so this was the only opportunity between now and Grade one (So Transition, Kindergarten, then Grade 1 here in NSW) to do it!

We have found similar to you that they are okay about it, but do get a bit funny that one does things the other doesn't (yesterday Finn got a lolly and Shelby didn't!)... but they do play VERY WELL together that evening! By the time we pick them up they've been back together for about 2 hours, and are so happy! (they are only split 9am-3pm then they all join up together again!).

I understand what it's like when others feel they need to give advice. Before we decided to split them everyone said "oh, you should split them, they are two different children etc". We kept saying we were not sure they would cope etc... then when we decided to do it everyone (in most cases the same that had given previous advice!) said "oh my goodness! Are you sure they will cope. They are so young!" etc... I think it's the old they-are-twins-and-everyone-has-an-opinion thing!

Anyway, glad to see you are happy with doing it - so far! It sounds like they are coping well... although it surely will take time!

... Jen :)

PS. Love reading your Blog and catching up!